Friday, November 23, 2012

The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson

The Ghost MapThe Ghost Map by Steven Johnson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Part mystery, part science, The Ghost Map addresses an 1854 cholera epidemic in one neighborhood in London and presents the route traced to identify its cause. At a time when medicine was based on superstition more than science, this journey to the truth was often blocked by everything from class prejudices to a lack of independent thinking. The author likewise weaves in the various sociologic and economic factors involved: the Industrial Revolution, urbanization, the history of cholera, colonization, world travel, morbidity/mortality statistics, and indoor plumbing. This book discusses a wide variety of disparate topics as they relate to the epidemiology of this particular outbreak, which is why the book worked so well. I found The Ghost Map well written and almost a page turner, but also I thought something was missing. I can't identify the missing element, but that's why I have this book a 4 rather than a 5.

Oh, and just a tip: This is not a book to read while eating. I have a far-from-weak stomach (working lunches on crime scene photography will do that to a gal), but lordy this one made me a bit queasy.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment