Friday, September 20, 2013

Nightwatch, Sergei Lukyanenko

The NightwatchThe Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I found this book in the reverse of the usual process, after watching a movie based on this novel and the next in the series. In Russia, the series represented sort of a breakout hit for the science fiction genre there. I can see why it was so popular. Despite opposing forces of the Light and the Dark, the world of The Others (not-quite humans who include in their ranks vampires, shapeshifters, seers, witches, and magicians) is one of shades of gray; the narrator for Nightwatch, one Anton Gorodetsky, especially so. In fact, the alternative plane of The Twilight--only accessible to the Others--operates in tones of sepias and grays. In addition to great world-building with interesting, nuanced characters, Lukyanenko tells one hell of a story. Actually, he tells three stories in this novel. The reader will ride along with battles large and small, doublecrosses galore, doomed romance, and wicked chase scenes (even in text). I enjoyed Nightwatch so much that I started the next book in the series, Daywatch, 10 minutes after I finished the first.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment