Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Goebbels: A Biography

Goebbels: A BiographyGoebbels: A Biography by Peter Longerich

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book requires a certain type of reader -- one with a deep interest in the topic at hand who can cut through thick prose like a hot knife through butter. If I had more time and more head space at the moment, I might be that person. Alas, I only made it about 150 pages into the book before my Netgalley-provided version expired. (That put me, chronologically speaking, in the very early days of the Nazi party when Goebbels was still a fairly low-ranking regional official.) This latest book on Goebbels is an English translation of a German history based on the not-so-good doctor's voluminous diaries. In and of themselves, they show the man's skill with propaganda, his first subject being himself. He was trying to create his own legend while living it, a complicated effort. Luckily for the reader, Longerich is here as narrator, helping us to distinguish fact from fiction. I recommend the book wholeheartedly for anyone with a strong interest in the personalities of the Reich and a love of meaty prose.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment