Friday, March 29, 2013

The Last Myth

The Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking Tells Us about AmericaThe Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking Tells Us about America by Mathew Barrett Gross

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I read this book over just a couple days, I found it that interesting. The authors cover a lot of bases here, from the historical background that led to the societal mindshift that led to the first apocalyptic myths to the reasons why apocalyptic thinking is so prevalent in much of mainstream American society now. But these aren't just discrete points in human history; a thread ties them all together. What impressed me most, however, is how the authors went a step further in the modern-day discussion of apocalyptic thinking to address how this approach to life, the universe, and everything is affecting (and in most cases harming) not just the U.S. but the world as a whole. Also, the final chapter provides a useful summary of all the material in the book, once again tying the content together (the writer in me always appreciates a good conclusion).



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment